Bacon-Wrapped Potato Bites with Spicy Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
Gather Supplies: (makes about three dozen appetizers)
- 1 pound small or medium red potatoes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 12 ounces to 1 pound thick-cut bacon
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1-3 teaspoons hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
Mix it Up:
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) Wash and dry the potatoes. Chop them into 1-inch pieces, keeping the pieces roughly the same size. Put the potatoes in a medium pot, cover with cold water (seasoned with 2 teaspoons of salt), and bring to a boil. Once the water begins to boil, cook the potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes, until you can stick a fork into them without too much resistance. You want the potatoes to be almost, but not fully, cooked through so they won’t fall apart during the rest of the preparation process.
3) Drain the potatoes and put them in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Toss to evenly coat the potatoes.
4) Cut each strip of bacon into thirds. Wrap each potato bite in a piece of bacon, securing it with a toothpick. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and space the potatoes an inch or two apart. You may need to cook the potatoes in two batches.
5) Cook the potatoes for 30-35 minutes, flipping each piece after 15 minutes, until the bacon is cooked and as crisp as you like it.
6) Mix the sour cream and hot sauce in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the potato bites with the dip.
When it comes to appetizers, it’s usually best to offer something that will appeal to a lot of people. What better choice is there than meat and potatoes? Especially when the meat is bacon! These tasty little bites will get the party started and give your guests something to munch on until the main course is served.
As a complement to our “Stir it Up” cocktail series, “Mix it Up” will give you an appetizer recipe once a month to get your party planning started.
What is your favorite appetizer?
Still hungry? Head on over to Pinterest for some more tantalizing recipes.