If you haven’t already become a Pinterest fiend, surely you’ve at least heard talk of this semi-new pinning frenzy. Launched in March of 2010, Pinterest was originally only available to a handful of close friends who received coveted invitations from founders, Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra, and Evan Sharp. It didn’t take long for the concept to snowball!
Pinterest is much more than eye candy though, it is an organizational tool of beauty to keep your favorite ideas in visual check. In an interview with Kim Stoegbauer on HGTV, Ben talks about interesting ways people everywhere are using their virtual pin boards. Weddings rank way up there! Justine Ingersoll Schwartz of Bride Finds agrees and lists setting up a Pinterest account (if you haven’t already) as one of 10 Things To Do As Soon As You Get Engaged, writing “Holy motherload of inspiration — I honestly don’t know what brides did before Pinterest.”
Ben, of Pinterest, actually found an engagement ring through the site and now he and his fiancée use shared pin boards to plan their wedding. I have found that it is an incredibly useful tool in gathering ideas for my own wedding. Whether you add family and/or friends as collaborators or just share ideas, the site allows for those important people to get excited about planning your big day with you. If you’re like me, it also makes it easy for you to gather more fantastic ideas than you know what to do with — I may wind up drawing some from a hat!
If you’re a bride…
- Create separate pin boards to house ideas for your dress, your groom’s suit, wedding party attire, reception decor, food, etc.
- Get the app, available for iPhone. It’s great for sharing thoughts on the go or during meetings with vendors.
- If you don’t have access to the app, print screen shots to take to meetings with you. I recently met with a girl about a dress and was easily able to give her several ideas on one piece of paper, along with my Pinterest info for later use.
If you just want to have some fun pinning…
- Well, then, get to it! The ideas are limitless. Go here to request an invite if you are not already hooked!
- Start pinning away.
- Create pin boards for home decor, food (you’ll find some great recipes), shoes, bicycles, cities, animals, anything at all! That’s what’s so great about it. You get to share all of the things you find fascinating with the world — and the world gets to share some pretty good ideas with you too.
Are you already on Pinterest? Follow us!